Dr. Adeel Zafar
Structural Engineering Department
National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST)
NUST College of Civil Engineering, Risalpur, Pakistan.
Ph.D. (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA)
Dr. Adeel Zafar is currently serving as the Head of Department (Structures) at NUST Military College of Engineering (MCE campus). Formerly, he has been serving as Chief Structural Engineer at Frontier Works Organization. In addition he has remained visiting faculty for post-graduate studies at SCEE, NUST (H-12 campus). He holds MS Civil Engineering and a Ph.D. degree (Structures) from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA. Dr. Adeel has around 20 years of work experience in various disciplines of Civil Engineering emphasis on Structural, Bridge and Earthquake Engineering. He has presented his research work at a significant number of international conferences and authored/ co-authored several peer-reviewed archival journal publications
- PhD Civil Engineering (Jan-2010 - May-2013) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA
- MS Civil Engineering (Aug-2007 - Dec-2010) University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA.
- BE Civil Engineering (President Gold Medal) (Apr-1996 - Apr-1999) NUST, Pakistan.
AWARDS & SCHOLARSHIPS
- 2007 MINISTRY OF DEFENCE MERIT SCHOLARSHIP for MS and PhD Studies, USA.
- 1999 PRESIDENT GOLD MEDAL in B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING at NUST.
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP/ FELLOWSHIP
- Member, American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE).
- Professional Engineer, Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC).
- Member, Institute of Engineers Pakistan MIE (Pak).
Seismic Design of Concrete and Steel Structures
Response of structures to Main-Shock After-shock earthquake sequence
Repair, Rehabilitation and Retrofitting of Structures
Non-destructive testing of Concrete and Steel structures
SMA-FRP composite and their Applications in structures
Structural Dynamics and its Applications
Bridge Engineering and Design of Bridges
Investigation of Improved Shear behavior through various Confinement techniques
- Zafar A. and Andrawes B. “Incremental dynamic analysis of concrete moment resisting frames reinforced with shape memory composite bars”. Journal of Smart Materials & Structures. 21 (2012) 025013-14pp.
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. "Fabrication and cyclic behavior of highly ductile superelastic shape memory composites." J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000797 (Feb. 5, 2013).
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. "Seismic behavior of SMA-FRP Reinforced Concrete Frames under Sequential Seismic Hazard." Engg. Structures, Volume 98, 1 September 2015, Pages 163-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.engstruct.2015.03.045
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. "Experimental Flexural Behavior of SMA-FRP Reinforced Concrete Beam." Frontiers of Structural and Civil Engineering–December 2013, Volume 7, Issue 4, pp 341–355. DOI 10.1007/s11709-013-0221-y
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. “Response modification factor for reinforced concrete buildings in Pakistan”. Proceedings of International conference on earthquake engineering and seismology, April 2011.
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. “Use of SMA-Composite reinforcement to enhance the ductility and energy dissipation capability of reinforced concrete moment resisting frames”. Proceedings of International conference on earthquake engineering and seismology, April 2011.
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. “Seismic performance of RC moment resisting frame with steel, GFRP and SMA-FRP composite reinforcement”. Proceedings of 2012 Structures Congress conference, Chicago, USA. March 2012.
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. “Seismic analysis of concrete moment resisting frames reinforced with steel, fiber reinforced concrete polymer and shape memory alloy composite reinforcement”. EERI annual meeting and National earthquake conference, Memphis, USA. April 2012.
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. “Seismic behavior of shape memory composite bars in RC moment frames”. 15 World conference on Earthquake Engineering, Lisboa, Portugal. September 2012.
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. “Manufacturing and modeling of SMA composite reinforcement for enhanced performance of concrete structures under sequential ground motion records”. Proceedings of 2013 Structures Congress conference Pittsburgh, USA. May 2013.
- Zafar, A. and Andrawes, B. “Experimental and Analytical Study of Innovative Shape Memory Alloy-based FRP Composite Reinforcement for Seismic Applications”. Proceedings of 2014 10th US National Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Alaska, USA. June 2014.
- Zafar, A., Adeel M., Andrawes, B. “Use of Smart Composite Material for Improving Structural Performance during Earthquakes – An active Disaster Mitigation Technique”. Proceedings of 7th International Engineering Convention IEP, Lahore, Pakistan. December 2014.
- Zafar, A., Adeel M., Andrawes, B. “Application of Hybrid Composite Material for Improving Dynamic Response of Structures during Sequential Earthquakes – Manufacturing, Testing and Numerical Simulations”. Proceedings of 10th International Conference on Composite Science and Technology, Instituto Superior Tecnico, Lisboa, Portugal. September, 2015.
- Zafar, A., Mahmoud H. “Time Dependent Reliability Analysis of Reinforced Concrete Bridges including Deterioration Effects”. Proceedings of Geotechnical and Structural Engineering Congress Conference, Phoenix, USA. February, 2016.
Thesis and DISSERTATION
Zafar A. “Response modification factor of reinforced concrete moment resisting frames in
developing countries” at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. MSc thesis (2010).
Zafar A. “Application of SMA fiber composite as seismic reinforcement for concrete moment
resisting frames” at University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. PhD Dissertation (2013).
courses offered to post-graduate programs
CE 809 (Structural Dynamics) – Fall 2014 , Fall 2015
CE 822 (Advanced Concrete Materials) – Fall 2013
COURSES OFFERED TO under-GRADUATE PROGRAMS
CE 411 (Steel Structures) – Fall 2018
Selected work experience related to professional engineering projects:
- TStructural Design and design implementation of 11xBridges and 24xunderpasses / subway for Lahore Ring Road Project (LRRP) as part of design and consultancy team of Frontier Works Organization. This National level project was part of Built-Operate-Transfer (BOT) methodology. All the structures were designed, got vetted/approved from 3rd party Consultants.
- Structural Design of Swat Motorway Project (SMP): Comprehensive Structural design includingbridges and minor crossing structures and culverts of SMP of this National level project. The project involved 21 x bridges and numerous minor crossing structures.
- Worked as lead Designer / Project Director (Design) for Jaglot-Skardu road (JSR-S1) project with National Highway Authority (NHA) and Frontier Works Organization (FWO) on this National and Strategic level project. The project (off shoot of KKH-S1) set at a high altitude posed unique design and material related challenges, considering mountainous and harsh environments. Project included combination of 3 x major steel bridges (Delta), 24 x New Bridges, Rehabilitation and widening of 20 x Old bridges, 4 x tunnels, adaptation of unique rock cutting / anchoring and slope stabilization techniques.
- Repair and Rehabilitaion of pre-stressed girders and deck slab of Panjgur-Turbat-Khushab Motorway Project (M8): Comprehensive Structural investigation of bridges with defects and cracks were carried out and a repair methodology for girders and deck slab were given which were adopted to carry out Rehabilitation work for this important segment of CPECroute as part of this National level project. The project involved 21 x bridges and numerous minor crossing structures
- Repair and extension of Bridges including Non-destructive testing of Karachi-Hyderabad Motorway (M9) Bridges : Detailed NDT testing and Finite element based modeling were carried out as part of Frontier Works Organization Design cell to assess condition of bridges and recommendation of Closure pour method to extend width of bridges to 3xlane carriageway (each side).
- Structural Design of 6 x Storey building on Lahore Ring Road Project (LRRP) including detailed structural models, issuance of construction drawings and getting it approved from 3rd party consultants.
- Detailed Architectural and Structural design, Contract execution and management, site Quality assurance and Implementation of design of 4 x StoreyArmy Public School building at Gracy Lines, Rawalpindi